Godwhy Church Mission Statement
Our Church is designed to reach anyone who wants to know more about God but still has questions. We create opportunities to explore the claims of Christ at your own pace, giving you the time and space to judge for yourself if the Bible has answers that will empower your life. We answer questions by embracing our culture as a vehicle to communicate truth about life through the means of music, drama & media as we explore the claims of Christ together.
1. What should I wear? The dress code is casual and for comfort. Pastor John will be wearing jeans.
2. How long will the service last? The weekend services at GodWhy last an hour.
3. What will the service be like? Our weekend services are not worship services they are exploration services. The first part of the service will use drama, the music we listen to every day on the radio and the movies we watch, to creatively look at life as we live it every day. In the second part of the service, we will look at the biblical perspective of these life issues and explore the claims of Christ. Then we will give you the time, space and freedom to judge for yourself if the Bible has truth that will help you in your life. Our services have included songs recorded by Sara Evans, Tim McGraw, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Switchfoot, 3 Doors Down, Evanescence, John Mayer, Sting, the Rolling Stones, and many others.
4. Is this a Christian church, or something else? Though non-traditional in style, GodWhy is deeply committed to the Christian faith. We have all struggled to find truth and what will make life worth living. We found it in a relationship with Christ. We believe if we give straight answers to seekers’ questions then give people the time, space and freedom to judge for themselves if the Bible has truth, many will find the answers they are looking for in Christ just as we did. We are not into pressure. Explore at your own pace.
5. Will I have to say anything, sign anything, give anything, or be singled out in any way? At GodWhy, you can rest assured that you will never be put on the spot, never singled-out, and never embarrassed. Furthermore, we will not be looking for your money. Our hope is that you let the service be our gift to you! You don’t have to sign anything, or register your attendance in any way (unless you place your child in our children’s ministry – for security reasons). We are committed to having the best and safest kids’ classes possible.
6. What about my kids – do they come in with me, or is there something going on for them? Our children’s ministry, “KidTown”, provides an exciting, quality experience for your newborn-fifth grade child simultaneously with all services. This allows you to maximize your experience at GodWhy while your child is receiving the highest level of care in classes designed to develop their character and leadership potential.
7. Can Christians come, or is this just for people exploring? Everyone is welcome to come and explore. For those who are already Christians, the service will provide fresh insight. (Please check your religion at the door)
GodWhy Statement of Beliefs
We Believe In:
1. GOD – There is one God eternally existent in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:32-53, I Corinthians 12:4-6, II Corinthians 13:14, I Peter 1:2)
2. JESUS CHRIST – We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless resurrection, in His ascension and intercession for the saints, and in His personal physical return to this earth in power and glory to establish the new Heaven and new earth. (Isaiah 9 6; Matthew 1:22, 23; John 1:1-5, 14:10-30; Acts 1:9-11; Romans 1:3,4; I Corinthians 15:3,4; I Timothy 6:14,15; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 4:14,15)
3. THE HOLY SPIRIT – The Holy Spirit has been sent by God as the agent of comfort, inner witness of one’s adoption as God’s child, and source of spiritual empowering for believers to do the work of Christ in the world. (John 14, 15, 16; Acts 1:8)
4. SALVATION – The only means of salvation is through confession one’s sins; having faith in Christ’s atoning death as the Son of God providing justification (pardon) from sin; and a confession of Jesus Christ as Lord over our life. When we turn from our self-ruled lives toward Jesus, by grace through faith we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by confession of His Lordship through faith. (John 14:6, 1:12; Romans 5:1; 6:23; Galatians 3:26; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5)
5. BIBLE – The Bible is the inspired Word of God, the Christians’ guide to matters of faith and doctrine. (Isaiah 8:16-20, Jeremiah 36, II Timothy 3:16, II Peter 1:19-21)
6. CHURCH – There is one Church made up of everyone who has confessed Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. (1 Corinthians 12:24-27)
7. HEALING – Jesus Christ has provided through the Holy Spirit, gifts of healing spiritually, emotionally and physically. (Isaiah 53, Matthew 10, I Corinthians 12, James 5). The anointing of oil and prayer by the elders for healing is a scriptural practice for the Church today. (James 5:14)
8. SECOND COMING – We anticipate the second coming of Christ and the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to an eternal dwelling with God and the other to eternal separation from God’s presence. (Matthew 25:31-46)
B. Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
We believe that God, by design, wonderfully and immutably created each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen. 1:26-27) We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Gen. 2:18-25) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor. 6:18, 7:2-5, Heb. 13:4) We believe that God has intended that sex not be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31, Luke 6:31) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of GodWhy Church.
C. Statement on Church Discipline
Discipline will follow the said biblical pattern, and is an effort to lead the individual to repentance, and to protect the church as a whole. Discipline may involve exclusion from participation in ministry, as well as dismissal from staff and/or ministerial leadership roles, and not excluding, in more extreme cases, dismissal from the fellowship of this church. An individual may be disciplined by the Pastoral Staff short of dismissal from the fellowship, as they deem appropriate for the specific circumstance. Final say for dismissal from a staff position, a ministerial role or congregational participation is at the sole discretion of the Senior Pastor.
D. Statement on Mediation
Members of church staff and ministerial leaders agree to submit any legal dispute with the church for mediation before a mutually agreed upon mediator, or if none can be agreed upon, one selected by an outside organization.
Mediation will be governed by the Rules of Procedure for Christian Conciliation of the Institute for Christian Conciliation (ICC Rules), unless modified as stipulated by the parties. In particular, subject to the more detailed provisions of the ICC Rules, mediator(s) will attempt to assist us in reaching a mutually voluntary settlement of any disputes through the mediation process. The confidentiality of the mediation process will be protected and these matters will not be discussed with people who do not have a necessary interest in them. If settlement can be mutually agreed upon, the conciliators may, at their discretion, issue an advisory opinion. Neither the opinion, nor any communications exchanged in the mediation process, will be admissible for any purpose in any subsequent legal proceeding.
E. Statement on Life
We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. (Psalm 139)
F. Statement of Final Authority on Matters of Faith and Conduct
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs or reflections of our practices. The Bible itself, as the inspired Word of God that speaks concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the source of all that we believe true. For purposes of GodWhy’s faith, doctrine, practices, policies, and discipline, our Senior Pastor is the final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.